Representing Montana youths in a fight for their future
Montana is one of only a handful of states that recognizes a constitutional right to a clean and healthy environment, including the climate. With our partners at Our Children’s Trust and the McGarvey Law Offices, we are representing 16 youths who, like us, believe Montana supporting and promoting a fossil fuel-driven energy system that contributes to the climate crisis violates these rights. This year, we’ll be in court advancing the first youth climate case to go to trial in U.S. history. The trial aspect is important because it’s very easy for a judge to read court filings about why a government is harming people’s rights to a livable climate via its energy policies, but it’s a much different thing to look a child in the eyes and tell them their rights are not being violated as our climate changes.
Our trial will be held in Helena, Montana, June 12-23, 2023.
- Montana Youth Climate Victory Order (2023.08.14)
- Montana Youth Climate Complaint (2020.03.13)
- News Release: Montana youth announce dates for historic climate trial (2022.02.07)
- News Release: Judge rules in favor of Montana youth plaintiffs, affirms case can proceed to trial (2021.08.05)
- News Release: Sixteen youths file constitutional climate lawsuit against the state of Montana (2020.03.13)
Photos by Robin Loznak; courtesy of Our Children’s Trust