LEGAL FELLOW POSITION OPENING
The Western Environmental Law Center (“WELC”) is a nonprofit public interest environmental law firm with a 25-year legacy of successfully using the power of the law to safeguard the public lands, wildlife, and communities of the West. We seek a qualified recent law school graduate to join our team of attorneys for a two-year legal fellowship. The legal fellow will work with supervising attorneys and use a full complement of legal advocacy tools to protect and restore wildlife, conserve public lands, and advance our western community objectives. This is a full-time position, located in our Eugene, Oregon office with an ideal start date of September, 2019.
Requirements and qualifications for the position include:
- A law school degree, preferably with environmental law curricula and/or environmental clinic emphases;
- Ability and willingness to use a complete set of legal advocacy tools including litigation, collaboration, administrative engagement, and rule and policy development;
- Admission to and good standing with the Oregon bar, or willingness to seek admission to the Oregon bar, at the earliest opportunity;
- Creative, strong-willed capacity to achieve objectives in the face of adversity;
- Exceptional research, writing, and oral advocacy skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills to foster relationships with our clients, partners, funders, and allies;
- Demonstrated commitment to the public interest and to WELC’s mission and strategies;
- Demonstrated commitment to conceptualizing and executing legal strategies that further WELC’s commitment to equity, inclusion, and justice;
- A love and respect for the public lands, wildlife, and communities of the western U.S.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. To apply, please email the following as PDF attachments to gro.w1555722650alnre1555722650tsew@1555722650sboj1555722650: (1) cover letter addressed to Erik Schlenker-Goodrich, Executive Director; (2) resume; and (3) at least three references who know you and your legal work. Cover letters should clearly communicate your commitment to WELC’s mission and advocacy and your motivation to work in the public interest legal field. In the letter, please do not reiterate qualifications your resume states. No phone calls or in-person visits please.
WELC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and our programs and employment are open to all. We offer a friendly, team-based environment, highly competitive salaries, and an excellent benefits package.